When was the last time you were able to complete a single task without your attention being whisked away by the pinging of your phone, or a pop-up advertisement that suspiciously advertises exactly what you were searching for on the web the other day?
A hurricane of creativity has blitzed the internet with trolls, memes, witty cartoons, mind-boggling infographics and funny videos of talking Siberian huskies. Faceit, can your blog really compete with a fuzzy singing canine that could put Miley Cyrus to shame?
Yes, it can. You just need to know how.
According to a report by the National Center for Biotechnology Information, the average attention span of a human being now stands at a proud 8 seconds in 2013, from 12 seconds in 2000. This is one second less than that of a goldfish. Which means you have exactly 8 seconds to hook your customers with gripping content!
- Write from the heart– As sappy and clichéd as this sounds, it’s true! Write from the deepest echelons of your heart. People want to know that behind all that corporate speak, companies have souls too. Write about behind-the-scenes moments that audiences aren’t going to find out about through those stringently PR-monitored news nuggets.
- Make sure your headline turns heads– David Ogilvy once famously said, “On the average, five times as many people read the headline as they read the body copy. When you have written your headline, you have spent eighty cents out of your dollar.” Write a catchy headline that will make your audience hungry for more.
- Hijack ideas like a cuckoo bird– Don’t be afraid to hijack or piggyback on ideas that are already floating about the blogosphere. And if you find a funny meme or comic that describes your brand, share it. Just be sure to give out due credit!
- It’s not always about you–Your blog doesn’t always have to be all about you. Find a way to connect the dots between trending topics, current affairs and your brand.
- Post regularly and consistently–You need to blog consistently as your regular visitors will expect new and improved content. This will help you build and increase your online community. Include keyword research for search engine optimization.
- Substance is great, but don’t forget the style!– It doesn’t matter if your content is tight. If it looks like a boring mess of textbook gibberish, your visitor’s eyes are going to glaze right past it. Break up lumps of text with descriptive headings, bold captions, paragraphs and bullets. Intersperse your content with images, infographics and tweetable quotes to provide relief.
Churning out good content is only half the battle. You need to share it on the right forums to ensure that it gets the eyeballs it deserves. According to the Global Web Index, we now spend 28% of our time online. Include social media plugins on your blogs, and regularly reply to comments to generate conversations. Share your blogs on social media sites, forums and social threads.
Follow these tips to write unique blogs that will have your visitors’ heads turning. In the right direction, of course!